Saturday, March 2, 2013

Spike

Two years ago, I found in a parking lot three little chicks. I was waiting for the boys to come out of farm camp, I brought them up to the farmhouse to let them know the chicks had escaped. They informed me that they were not from that farm. People just dump unwanted chicks there and due to health reasons wouldn't take them in.
( I found out later there was a bunch of cock fighting rings in the area and they dump hen chicks at the farm at night cause they don't need them but most don't live past a day )
I politely asked for a box for my newly acquired chicks. The boys very excited named them. I asked my other half if we could or should keep them, We ended up buying the supplies and they grew into egg laying hens.
( On christmas of that year we received our first egg)
We learned many things over the past two years about chickens... like you don't need a rooster to get eggs. They eat green veggies. They are very soft. They are very smart and dumb at the same time. Each had its own personality. Not all chicken lay white eggs. They have unique personalities And so much more...
I wasn't a "chicken " person before this. But these birds have taught me a great many things over the past two years about my self and about how cool having back yard chickens can be.


1 comment:

  1. I love our chickens. They are our family pets, one of several sources of entertainment, and our food source (eggs, not the birds). They are also great pest control of spiders and pincher bugs. Thanks for rescuing these feathery friends!

    ReplyDelete